“You know it's unsettling – talking to you like this.” Commissioner Gordon took a sip of his scotch to settle his nerves. “In all the years we've known each other, this is the first time I have ever seen you without a mask. I've spent years wondering what you look like and now here we are. I just always assumed the circumstances would be...less complicated.” He gazed across the table at the beautiful woman sat opposite him. “So, Batman, why don't you introduce me to your cover?”
“I'm a reporter!” Batman replied matter-of-factly. He paused, two perfectly manicured hands clasping an unsampled glass of white wine while his eyes scanned the restaurant around them. Gotham's best and brightest were out in numbers enjoying fine-dining, oblivious to the fact they were in the same room as the caped crusader. Batman turned his head to check the entrance and then back to the door to the kitchen.
“Well, you're still doing the Batman thing anyway.” Gordon sighed. “The brooding staring... At least as a reporter you'll have an excuse when you start interrogating everyone.” He tilted his head trying to hide the fact he was drinking in his companion's high-cheekbones and delicate chin. “Looking like that, few people will object to your interrogation.”
“The disguise is functional.” Batman stated flatly. “It will serve its purpose. Hugo Strange has reopened the Inflatable Factory. Young women are going missing and reappearing months later with hugely modified appearances and strong suggestions of mind-control. Strange clearly has a facility somewhere – a large one judging by the number of women going missing, but as Batman I have been unable to locate it. That's why I have used nannite technology to temporarily adopt the persona you see before you. As 'Mara Black' I will be able to access information the Batman would not. The tech may be cutting edge but the mission is not – find facility, destroy facility, apprehend Strange, leave.” He turned back to the table. “And, Commissioner, you are the one who is staring.”
“You may not have noticed Batman, but everyone in the restaurant is staring.” Gordon chuckled. “These nannites of yours have done fine work. 'Mara Black' as you call her is certainly easier on the eye that the cape and boots. I suspect Hugo Strange won't need asking twice to make you one of his 'Mannequins'.”
“Hugo Strange is about to become Arkham's newest resident.” Batman narrowed a pair of perfectly plucked eyebrows. Make no mistake, I may look like this, but I remain as formidable as ever and I will stop at nothing to turn this Inflatable Factory into a crater.” He stood from his seat and pushed the full glass of wine into the center of the table. “And., Commissioner? Everyone is actually staring at you. They think you are here cheating on your wife!”

No comments:
Post a Comment